Sunday, July 1, 2007

36 Hours!

Well my friends, 36 hours... is all that is left to be ready to leave little quaint Houghton Centre at 3:30 a.m. on Tuesday. A few more trips to the beach and a few more sunsets. That last few days have been filled with last minute errands in Tillsonburg, figuring out Brock's course registration and a few more goodbyes. There is a busy buzz around here, but soon we will be settling into our new homes - down South - in Guatemala. I will miss it here. But the anticipation for what God is waiting to teach me is also killing me.

On Thursday, the team went on a group trip to the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market. What an experience! I felt back in my neck of the woods and the only thing on my mind was how I could plot to pick up a cup of William's Coffee today? It was a success - and I got "my fix" and also introduced my friends to a part of the world they have missed out on their whole life! (Here is Steph, Kat and Ashley). I also enjoyed some apple fritters, cheese curds and fresh strawberries.
In the afternoon, we drove to Elora Gorge and then proceeded to Jenna's place for a barbeque. On our trek back home, we hit quite the traffic jam - and to kill time we proceed to ask cars beside us, "Hey, do you have any toast for this traffic jam?" We proceeded to get many smiles, but the best response was "What the $%ck are you talking about?!" Quite a lively time on Highway 6.

I will close this blog with three things I will miss when I'm in Guatemala:

1. The beach. I'm not sure if I've told anyone this yet, but the best parts of the beach are the sinking mud pits! Cam, Dale and myself have enjoyed many times playing in these mud pits - some days I really think pigs have the life! (This is quite a clean picture actually...)
2. Asparagus. Gosh. I never thought I'd say that. But I really enjoyed my job and getting back into shape. Also, I will miss the Mexican Mennonites I worked with and the time in the barn.

3. My family. Two weekends ago we said our good-byes, and it was really special to show them asparagus land - the land I have grown in love with.

4. Coffee. I will now have to cut coffee out of my diet for the next two months. WAIT WAIT WAIT!! Andrew is giving up coffee?!?!?! That was until I met someone as much in love with coffee as myself. Let me introduce you to my caffeine-addict friend, Kat (potentially her alias). She has a solo French-Press travel mug coffee-maker from a trendy coffee shop (insert Starbucks). She conformed me to her religion, and now too, I am a proud owner of a solo French-Press and have been brewing Cafe Estima coffee for the past two days - delicious! It also means I only need to ask for hot water in the morning for my coffee in Tizate. Kat is pretty much my coffee saviour.

Stay tuned - for the stories and adventures from Guatemala.

Andrew

P.S. I will try to post the first Sunday that I am in Antigua!

No comments: