Sunday, June 24, 2007

"This" is really about "That"

You know the asparagus season is coming to a close when:


- I’ve been collecting my Vitamin D by basking in the late afternoon sun.
- I convert potential purchases into the hours of hard work it took to earn the money
- More Days off; I'm debating whether I will miss my job, after I have come to enjoy it.
- Work days outside of the pack house become our work (three cheers for hoeing! seriously, I love it!)


With the end of the asparagus season in loom, the reality of heading off to Guatemala becomes the forefront again. The next portion of the program is quite different, yet all much of the same picture – the business of Sandy Shore Farms helps makes the reality for the village of Tizate a different story – a story of love, hope and development. Two families have made their business, service and lives very holistic. Something I want my life to become. Although the two portions of this program are different, this portion is really about that portion.


This is really about that.
(Thanks Rob Bell, “Sex God” – a thought provoking read)

This past Wednesday, we had a “Guatemalan Night”. It was a night where we found out which family in Tizate I would be staying with. I am on my own, staying with an older couple – Marianna y Factor - and their grandchildren. I am nervous as I do not feel confident in my Spanish yet (looking forward to moments of awkward silence), but excited to be fully immersed in the language and really get to know “mi familia”. Apparently one of my neighbours practices witchcraft while the other is a devout Christian.

This coming week, there will be a lot of meetings in regards to our two month stay in Guatemala. It looks like a majority of my service will stem from the construction project – providing a home for three families (all inter-connected) and teaching an advanced ESL class. I’m sure there will be a few local games of “futbal” thrown in there as well.

Hasta luego mis amigos! (See you later my friends)

Andreas

Note: The picture is me and my friend Tina, overlooking Lake Erie (It is the part of Lakeshore Rd. that is no longer safe to drive on due to the erosion)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! That is amazing! I can't wait to hear your spanish when you get back dude!!!I'll be prayin for your awkward silences ... heheh.
stac.

Unknown said...

Hey, just wanted to say I had the exact same ponderings figuring out how many trees it cost me to rent a motel room on the weekend, or how many trees it cost to fly home, or how many trees for dinner out in the months during and the weeks after planting last summer.

Jon Juane said...

hola amigo!! thanks so much for the support for kstan!! hope youre doing well and have a fantastic trip!!

find yourself a wifey alright? hahaha... and! umm... sweet shoes.

i looked at the picture of the 12 of you and couldnt quite pick out the judas... so keep your eyes open for the kiss of death.

anyways brother, have a great summer! hasta luego!