Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Finding the Beauty in the Brokeness

I have come to love the quaint pueblo of El Tizate. A village that masks its poverty and dark side. There is so much beauty in the people, while there are struggles in their lives as well - as some struggle against poverty. I am learning that for me to be well rounded, I need to see both beauty and brokenness in myself and others to see a more holistic perspective of myself and others. Jesus always saw the beauty in broken lives and embraced them by healing them with his unlimited, lavish love.





Now, I must tell you about the family we are providing housing for. One house for the grandparents and two for the children and their families. Here is a picture of some of the family - when I went to play with the children. I try to make it there as often as I can to play. It's sweet - one gringo and a bunch of Guatemalan children! While working on the construction site, I have come to know the children (who sometimes also try to help in the building process). For a family who has very little, they have great gratitude for this gift. They treat us to coke, cookies, pineapple and other undeserved tokens of thanks. They are gratuitous with what they are receiving and being generous with the little they have. This challenges me to us what I have been given to generously and lavishly love others. Every drop of sweat in the hot Guatemalan sun is worth it, when I know that this family will have a sweet home in a month or so. By the way, our favourite games are "Andrew push me in the wheelbarrow" and Hide and Go Seek in the Construction Site (probably not the safest - but they love it!)

It has left me with this challenge - The cookies and the coca-cola I'm given when I'm there feels unneeded but obliged to accept. Accepting a cookie is appreciating their thankfulness, and truly sharing this mutual friendship. (It feels less and less like a 'give, give, give' relationship and more like friendship and love). I've seen beyond their poverty to find beauty in our friendship. This is what we need more of in this world - giving and receiving - and for the world to rip the 'scorecard' to shreds, so that there is no tally of favours, but only mutual friendships. A mentality that is not a 'us-them' helping but rather 'helping each other' to understand the world.


After the first three weeks here in Tizate, I had the opportunity to visit Monterrico with Dale and Cam. Monterrico is a black-sand paradise situated on the Pacific Ocean. It was a relaxing weekend, where I was able to do much journalling over bottomless coffee at the sweet retaurant, Johnny's. By the way, I no longer need my daily cup of coffee. Our hotel was also on the beach! I feel like we did not do much - as we wanted to refresh ourselves for when we returned to Tizate. The first picture is on the boat tour I did at 5 a.m. over a sweet sunrise. The other two are Dale, Cam and I on the beach, and a beautiful sunset we sat and watched on the beach. Monterrico is a little paradise on this planet - maybe you will discover it someday too.


Beautiful and Broken,


Andres

3 comments:

Jon Juane said...

andres! como estas hermano?

dude this blog is beautiful. you should consider printing it out and making into a book. the photographs are sweet.

anyways thanks for the updates! i just got back from kstan and cannot wait to chat with you about our summers!!!

hasta luego!!

Rachel said...

thanks for sharing andrew! you've given some great things to think about, and have chanllenged me already! looking forward to hearing more about what God is doing in your life!

i'm glad that you were able to enjoy some paradise :D

Maplemusketeer said...

Oh yes.. I believe my small group did some work in Tizate during some of their service days, working on the school/language building thing? Maybe? And I def's remember Johnny's and Monterrico. You hit up the liquados right? So good :)

Sounds like you're having more life forming/shaping beautiful challenging experiences.. I'm very glad to hear it.

You rock duder! Good on yeah. And hooray for the sweet amazing Guate families. ;)