Thursday, August 7, 2008

Joyful!



A preface to this blog; an afterthought to this blog:

I am not suggesting that building a home is not an expression of the love I have received in Christ. Rather, I am suggesting that just as faith without actions is dead (James 2:17), so too deeds without an expression of faith is perhaps ambiguous -- or an incomplete expression of the hope and love we have in Jesus.
Moving on...Today we completed the home that was started a week or two before we came. Here is a picture of Veronica and her children (less a camera shy boy and their working father). They say "Gracias!" This is a joyful day -- the house is basically complete (less moving in). A need met and to be enjoyed for a lifetime. It truly does changes one´s outlook and spirit. By changing their living condition, you are pouring hope into a situation that may feel hopeless. We had a barbecue to celebrate the completion today at lunch with the construction workers. The boys from the family celebrated by scrapping it out on their new porch!

Last weekend, we went to Semuc Champey. Summary in brief sentence fragments:
gorgeous pools of water, "cattle" transportation (pictured above - only 15 per ride haha!), Only one break down of the bus (because the clutch actually wasn´t fixed in the shop); Only 3 police pulling us over and not needing to pay any bribes; finding a delicious cup of hot cacao - made purely from its bean; being inviting into the kitchen of a restaurant to learn how to make hot cacao from its bean - the deal was that Dale and I couldn´t comment on the state of the kitchen (I love the "stringent" health regulations of restaurants here!); enjoying time with Guatemalan friends from the church and learning Spanish inside jokes (¡Baya!).

Well talk with you soon.
Andres

P.S. I will upload pictures in Antigua on Sunday as the Internet is slow in Tizate right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is hot cacao as fulfilling as coffee?? Lots of food for thought this year...looking forward to seeing how it impacts you. Cayden turns 1 today.

Anonymous said...

Andy!!!!!!!! I miss you, my friend! I am so glad that you're doing so well in Guatemala again. You sound like you're gaining a lot of insight and wisdom. Crazy how being in a place that is more "raw" and "real" can do that, huh?
Wow, I wish I was there with you guys! I miss that place and those people a lot. Maybe one day I will find my way back! Take care bud!!!
Jen Johnson