Saturday, July 12, 2008

Appointed

Arrived in Guatemala...in a day and a half.

Delayed flight in Detroit. Missed Connection in Fort Lauderdale. Anticipating our arrival in the hotel in Fort Lauderdale. Taxi Ride to Miami. Flight from Miami to Guatemala.

Tizate is a small rural village that is no more than a few roads and houses are either on the roads or carved into the mountains. Life here is filled with many new sights, smells and sounds. Imagine the smell of wood burning, along with polluted river smell wafting through the air, along with firecrackers starting as early as four in the morning to late into the night. And let´s not forget all the barking dogs.

It has been great to reconnect and live life as ¨normal¨ here in Tizate with Mariana and Factor. I have enjoyed their hospitality very much. Tonight, I made a Canadian meal of Omelets for them (with cheddar cheese - a rare and expensive find). I had a real philosophical debate - what constitutes Canadian food? (Let me know if you think you have an idea).

My Spanish is rapidly coming back although I still feel a little rusty. It has helped me develop relationships in the village.

I am excited about the relationships that are developing this visit to Tizate. Would you like to here about a lovely couple at the church I attend here; Alberto - a man who desires to speak English - who called out to me one night on my way home late at night; Nancho and Welfredo - the construction workers who I am have a great time getting to know; the ESL adult students who are speaking better than last summer?

Life is a struggle but I hope to gain a deeper glimpse into the culture of El Tizate, Guatemala through the relationships that God has given to me
- the life I´ve been appointed to live.

Andres.

(I will update the blog every Thursday night. I will unfold one picture of life here in Tizate per entry. Photos to come!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey hey...

i love the way you describe this place which you seem to admire so much. you make me wish i could come and see it too....

i am happy for your opportunity and i hope you have a wonderful time....

my prayers are with you

Anonymous said...

Andrew! I am so blessed to hear about your life. It is clear to me that you are walking in the footsteps of Jesus. And Jesus is walking all over the streets of Guatemala!

So why are there firecrackers going off all the time? These people sound like so much fun! Factor, Nancho, Welfredo, Alberto!

What does "El Tizate" mean? Is it translatable or just a name?

Ok, enough questions. I'm proud of you, and praying for you. :) It's a true sign of walking with jesus when there are struggles.

I hope this will encourage you, as it does me:
1 Peter 5:7-11

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.

John said...

Andrew not to be the antsy nancy but you didn't update last night... I would have fired off an email to Greg by now...